The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has revealed all the 366 movies that are eligible for consideration at this year’s Oscars—and there are a few anime movies on this list:
- Earwig and the Witch— This is Studio Ghibli’s first 3D CG feature film. It was released on December 30, 2020.
Growing up in an orphanage in the British countryside, Earwig has no idea that her mother had magical powers. Her life changes dramatically when a strange couple takes her in, and she is forced to live with a selfish witch. As the headstrong young girl sets out to uncover the secrets of her new guardians, she discovers a world of spells and potions, and a mysterious song that may be the key to finding the family she has always wanted.
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba: The Movie: Mugen Train— This movie was the biggest hit in Japanese theatres in 2020.
After his family was brutally murdered and his sister turned into a demon, Tanjiro Kamado’s journey as a demon slayer began. Tanjiro and his comrades embark on a new mission aboard the Mugen Train, on track to despair.
- Lupin III THE FIRST— The first full CGI animated movie of the Lupin the IIIrd series, it was released in December 2019.
The iconic ‘gentleman thief’ Lupin III returns in an action-packed, continent-spanning adventure, as Lupin III and his colorful underworld companions race to uncover the secrets of the mysterious Bresson Diary, before it falls into the hands of a dark cabal that will stop at nothing to resurrect the Third Reich.
- On-Gaku: Our Sound— This indie movie is directed Kenji Iwaisama, and features a lead performance by Japanese alt-rock legend Shintaro Sakamoto.
Having no skill, money, or even a full set of drums, three high school delinquents form a rock ‘n’ roll band to impress their only friend, avoid a rival gang, and jam out.
- Ride Your Wave— This 2019 movie has been directed by Masaaki Yuasa, produced by Science SARU.
Surf-loving college student Hinako must find joy and purpose in life again, after a terrible tragedy results in the death of her firefighter boyfriend Minato.
- A Whisker Away— Junichi Sato and Tomotaka Shibayama’s movie is a 2020 Japanese animated film produced by Studio Colorido, Toho Animation and Twin Engine.
Miyo Sasaki is in love with her classmate Kento Hinode and tries repeatedly to get Kento’s attention by transforming into a cat, but at some point, the boundary between herself and the cat becomes ambiguous.
The 93rd Academy Awards are to be held on April 25. The nominees will be announced on March 15.